Council tax is due to be paid to the local authority by all citizens living in England, Scotland and Wales. This does not apply to Northern Island.
Disabled people may be entitled to receive financial assistance with payment of Council Tax. To find out how to obtain financial assistance and how the claim evaluation process works a factsheet is available. The topics covered include:
- How to get help for reduction or discount for Council Tax.
- The two types of Council Tax benefit.
- The habitual residence test and the right to reside.
- How to claim Council Tax benefit.
- The value of the benefit.
- Non-dependant deductions.
- Personal allowances.
- Other information.
Council tax is a fairly broad topic within disability rights and it is important to understand your right. For further information see this factsheet.